Interacting with your customers on social media has created a huge opportunity to bring fans of your brand into the world of your business and show them what the day to day life of a small winemaker looks like. Using facebook and instagram to show photos and tell your story has become an integral part of the marketing strategy for a small business. Yet lately, reaching people on social media has become more difficult.
You may have heard of algorithm changes within social networks underwent a big shift early this year in response to fears that “posts from businesses, brands and media — were crowding out the personal moments that lead us to connect more with each other.” (See the full post here.) The results of this algorithm change is that it is harder to target advertising to reach your demographic on Facebook and Instagram. However there are a few exceptions to this algorithm that can really benefit small businesses, the first is using facebook live and the second is posting in or creating a facebook group. In this blog we will go over how to create a virtual event using facebook live, and our guide to using facebook groups will be linked here when it is published.
Facebook live is exactly that, a live feed taken probably from your phone that is broadcast live onto your facebook page. To create a live video all you have to do is navigate to your business page and under “status update” click on “live video” then point the camera at whatever the subject of your video is. Before you start your live video or virtual event though, follow the steps below to plan and market your video to reach the maximum number of people with well planned content.
Five Steps To Becoming A Pro
- Plan Your Live Event: Find something compelling about your business that you would like to share with your followers, great topics for a live video are harvest, crush or bottling but you can create an event out of almost anything.
- Market Your Event: Create an event on your business facebook page and invite your friends an followers to attend. Also, send an email to your wine club members with the info about the event and instructions on how to find it (by navigating to your page at the correct date/time). Finally, put up a sign in your tasting room and have your employees invite their friends. The more viewers you have during your event, the more facebook will allow it to be shown after the event is over.
- Write A Script: It is definitely better to be prepared beforehand with what you want to say in your video, it’s live and you can’t get it back.
- Stage Your Video: Create a space that showcases your brand and is easy to move around in, take lighting into account especially if it is dark indoors or very bright outside. Be aware of anything in the background of your video you would not want people to see. If you have multiple people participating in the video, do some blocking and possibly put markers on the floor so everyone knows where they are supposed to be.
- Produce Your Video: Hit the go live button, follow your script and have fun! Your fans will enjoy seeing you have a good time and will hopefully start planning their next visit!